There are a so many worktops to choose from when putting the finishing touches on your new kitchen. What should you take into consideration when it comes to materials, design and sustainability?
We asked Anna Granstig – Marketing Coordinator in at Cosentino Scandinavia:
Which materials are most popular right now?
– We are seeing new trends in the type of worktops the customers choose, says Anna Granstig. For a long time, laminate worktops have been the most common in Sweden, but wood and stainless steel have also been popular.
“Marble, granite and limestone are more popular than ever.”
– In recent years, natural stone has been on the increase. Customers prefer to use stone if they can. Marble, granite and limestone are more popular than ever and sales have increased steadily.
Anna Granstig goes on to explains that the trend for more colourful kitchens – in contrast to the white kitchens of the last decade – affects the choice of worktops.
– Generally, people are daring to introduce more colour into their kitchens. This includes choosing use worktops that go towards darker or warmer colors. Even more patterned materials have increased in popularity.
– Your choice of worktop will, of course, be affected by the style of the kitchen.
“Classic kitchens like bistro, shaker or the country kitchen look good with worktops that have a natural stone look.”
So, you mean different worktops suit different styles of kitchen?
– Absolutely! I use to say that to every kitchen a certain type of stone is suitable. Classic kitchens, like bistro style kitchens, shaker kitchens and farmer’s house kitchen, goes together well with natural looking countertops. Modern and minimalistic kitchens goes together well with one-coloured countertops.
– You usually want to create a contrast by matching glossy cupboard doors with a matt worktop and matt doors with a shiny worktop. This gives a nice overall look.
– Amongst the new kitchen designs, we also see the industrial trend of surfaces with a concrete or rusty appearance growing in popularity.
– Minimalistic doors in light wood are also making a come- back. They look really good with white, light or sand-coloured natural stone in our materials Silestone or Dekton (see fact box below).
What’s the best worktop for a family with kids?
When choosing a worktop, however, there’s more to think about than current trends and Anna thinks it’s important to think about your lifestyle and how the surface will be used.
– I often get questions from families with toddlers where the kitchen is being used all the time and where parents want the children to be able to join in with the cooking. I usually suggest that they should choose a worktop that is sturdy and durable so that the surface will always look good despite spills and abrasion from pans etc.
Anna Granstig says that some natural stone, such as limestone and marble, is not always the optimal choice in a kitchen because its surface is soft and porous.
– Spills from, for example, coffee and various acids can damage the surface and cause stains that cannot be removed. It’s worth considering whether a worktop of Silestone or a dark or patterned polished granite might be a better choice.
“Many people use way too much detergent when they clean their kitchens.”
How should you treat your worktop so that it will last a long time?
– Many people actually use too much cleaning fluid when they are cleaning their kitchens. When customers call us to ask why their worktop has lost its sheen, it’s almost always because the cleaning agent has formed a dried layer on the surface of the worktop.
How do you get rid of that?
– It’s easily removed with a little pine-oil soap and lukewarm water. Then polish the surface with a microfibre cloth until it regains its natural lustre. With the right materials and a little loving care, you will have a worktop that you can enjoy for many years.
Facts: Silestone and Dekton, by Cosentino
Silestone consists of quartz stone. Dekton is a mixture of minerals and is produced by using similar technology to that used to create quartz composite, porcelain and glass.
With these materials you get surfaces that are extremely resistant to scratches and stains and stay looking good for many years.
Silestone and Dekton are available in hundreds of different designs, ranging from various patterns resembling natural stone to single colours and with different surface polishes.
Silestone and Dekton are very easy to maintain and generally require only water and possibly some detergent to remove stains.